A Brief History of the IPA
The IPA was founded in 1865 as an organization for Illinois publishers. It has evolved into one of the largest state newspaper associations in the country representing more than 450 daily and weekly newspapers.
The Association spent much of its early history housed in Gregory Hall on the campus of the University of Illinois. In 1975, it relocated to Springfield and settled into its permanent headquarters in April of 2000.
The IPA has evolved from a fraternal organization to one whose agenda now focuses on a wide array of legislative, business, advertising, educational and legal services. The IPA is governed by a board of directors of 15 newspaper executives representing an equal number of weekly and daily newspapers from regional districts.
The Board of Directors determines the legislative and business practices that are carried out by the IPA’s full-time staff of 15 employees.
More than 450 newspapers are members of the Illinois Press Association, making it one of the largest state press organization in the country. The IPA continues to provide professional education, government access and newspaper advertising promotion to members. They also provide assistance for Newspapers in Education and literacy programs, education and promotion of the First Amendment, information on evolving technology and new media, and "hot button" seminars.