The IPA was founded in 1865 as an organization for Illinois publishers. It has evolved into the largest state newspaper association in the country representing more than 400 daily and weekly newspapers.
The Association spent much of its early history housed in Gregory Hall on the campus of the University of Illinois. In 1975, it relocated to Springfield and settled into its permanent headquarters in April of 2000.
The IPA has evolved from a fraternal organization to one whose agenda now focuses on a wide array of legislative, business, advertising, educational and legal services. The IPA is governed by a board of directors of 15 newspaper executives representing an equal number of weekly and daily newspapers from regional districts.
The Board of Directors determines the legislative and business practices that are carried out by the IPA’s full-time staff of 20 employees.